2017 CHOICE Expedition to Peru
- What: A week-long trip to a CHOICE Humanitarian community, including a community-determined work project and time to learn about CHOICE’s work.
- When: Saturday July 8 – Saturday July 15, 2017
- Where: Peru (village/community TBD – based out of Piura, Peru)
- Why: Travel to a new culture and country, deepen your connection to ending extreme poverty and our partners’ work, and meet your fellow human beings!
- Who: You! Peggy! Other FeelGooders! Other CHOICE investors! In-country CHOICE staff and community members!
- Cost: $1750 for current FG students, $1850 for FG alumni + airfare (see below for information on scholarships and fundraising!)
*The FeelGood movement is invited to EVERY public CHOICE expedition! If you are ever interested in a CHOICE expedition, you don’t need to wait for a special FeelGood invitation.
Expeditions are structured around a work project, decided upon and lead by the local community visited. This could be installing new stoves, building a medical facility, painting a schoolhouse, or even bio-gas digester installation. While the project provides the structure of the trip, the true purpose of the trip is to meet, connect with, learn from, and interact with our fellow humans around the world. (See CHOICE Expedition Program Director, Jordan Menzel’s take on what CHOICE is and how expeditions fit in.)
- A contingent of wealthy Americans showing up to a poor village uninvited to take pictures of brown people
- A contingent of oblivious do-gooders who come in to show the villagers how to live
- A bunch of westerners teaching indigenous and/or rural villagers what they’re doing wrong
- In any way shape or form glorifying poverty
- Based on the idea that we (Westerners) are better and know better
- An opportunity to see and invest in poverty-ending work on the ground
- A chance to meet fellow human beings whose lived experience is different than our own
- A dynamic, engaging intercultural exchange
- Travel to a new, beautiful part of the world
- A chance for a renewed perspective on life
- A chance to reconnect with yourself
- Based on the idea that we are stronger when we empower and learn from each other
TELL ME MORE!
Saturday July 8 – Saturday July 15, 2017**
Here is a detailed schedule of the expedition. The outline of the schedule is as follows:
- Day 1 – Saturday: International travel into a major city. Overnight in the city after a welcome dinner and orientation with in-country staff.
- Day 2 – Sunday: Land transportation to local village. Intro to the project, culture, history, etc. Overnights in tents, schools, homes, etc. depending on village capabilities.
- Day 3 – 6, Monday – Thursday: Work days. Time spent working on projects decided by the community, along with spending time with the locals through meals, playtime, etc.
- Day 7 – Friday: Village celebration + farewell. Local transportation back to major city. Overnight in hotel.
- Day 8 – Saturday: International departures back to US or various destinations.
**There is a chance there will be an optional Machu Picchu excursion with CHOICE, July 5-8. You can find more information on the detailed schedule (linked above).
CHOICE’s program is still relatively new in Peru – less than 2 years! This means this is an awesome opportunity to see what ending poverty on the ground is like at the early stages. Our expedition will be within the first 5 this in-country staff hosts; they held 2 incredibly successful expeditions in 2016, and are extremely excited and prepared for their expeditions in 2017.
- Check out a recap of one of the most recent expeditions in Peru and
- a video from CHOICE Program Director, Jordan Menzel
Our landing city is Piura, Peru. From colonial architecture to the Incan ruins of Machu Picchu, Peru is home to a diverse geography and population. Situated in then orthern coastal region, Piura offers a tropical climate that extends to the mountainous Amazonian highlands to the Pacific Ocean. The village region we will be visiting and working in is Frias, Peru. Frias is a district in the Piura region.
Often living in America, extreme poverty feels very far away and something that happens to other people. And while this is true, in order to be strong and effective advocates for those who don’t have a voice, it’s crucial to have an understanding of what this work looks like.
Being able to physically visit our partners work on the ground is a huge privilege and opportunity. There’s no doubt a trip like this will change you and make you a more effective, engaged advocate for the end of poverty by 2030. Whether you’re making grilled cheese on campus, working at a large corporation post-graduation, or something in between, we can all benefit from a stronger connection to this work and the people directly affected by our investment efforts.
You’ll meet and engage with CHOICE Peru in-country staff, your fellow FeelGooders, your fellow CHOICE investors, and the CHOICE community members you’ll visit — the combination of which is more powerful than words can explain.
But seriously, will you join?
This expedition is open to the public, which means we’ll have the opportunity to connect with fellow CHOICE investors from all over the country. With a FeelGood contingent, we can represent FeelGood as a dedicated partner and investor in CHOICE’s poverty-ending work, share the FeelGood story, and learn from every other expeditioner as to what has brought them to CHOICE.
Additionally, you’ll be able to meet and learn from CHOICE Peru in-country staff.
UVM FeelGood alumna and former staff member, Peggy Snider will be co-leading this trip. As a student, Peggy was involved in UVM FeelGood from 2009 – 2011. After graduating with a B.A. in Sociology and Community Entrepreneurship, Peggy moved out west to intern with FeelGood as a Logistics Intern for the 2011 Big Cheese, Social Media Strategy Intern, and eventually joined staff in October of 2012 until August 2015. During her time on staff, Peggy directly supported students on the ground both at established chapters and chapters just beginning their journey with FeelGood, managed and supported almost all communications, and managed behind the scenes event logistics.
In December 2014, Peggy joined the CHOICE Expedition to Bhorletar, Nepal on behalf of the FeelGood movement. This July will be Peggy’s first expedition as a leader, so naturally she is super pumped and focused on getting representatives from the FeelGood movement to join her!
Peggy is an avid traveler. She has extensive experience traveling internationally, as well as direct experience traveling to Peru (September 2015). Look to her as your resource with regards to the CHOICE model, expedition expectations, FeelGood history and partnership with CHOICE, travel and packing tips, and more.
Cost & Scholarships
Here’s a breakdown of the estimated cost of the trip per person:
- Trip Fee: $1750 for current students and $1850 for FG alum (includes $200 discount from CHOICE for our FeelGood community!)
- This fee includes international airport pick-up at Capitan FAP Guillermo Concha Iberico International Airport in Piura (airport code PIU), all ground transportation within Peru, all meals from Saturday dinner to Saturday breakfast, hotel lodging in Piura, and community lodging in rural Peru.
- The rest of your fee left after covering costs gets directly invested into CHOICE projects like the one we’ll see in Peru.
- Initial deposit of $300/person is upon registration with CHOICE and is part of your total fee
- NOTE: All expedition paperwork and remaining fees are due to CHOICE by May 8, 2017
- Estimated airfare: $700-$1200 depending on origin
- Estimated other (vaccines, food while in airports): $100
Total estimated cost: $2550-$3100
- There are two (2) $500 scholarships up for grabs! These scholarships have been generously donated to us by an anonymous alumni.
- If you’re interested, please fill out the scholarship application here.
- **Scholarship applications are due by April 17, 2017.**
- Scholarship winners will be announced by April 21, 2017.
As always, you may gift your scholarship to another student, chapter, or alumni that you know is working hard to save up to make this trip happen.
TIP: Chapters who are hoping to send a representative can pool CHW scholarships, work together as a chapter, and gift multiple scholarships to your chapter’s representative(s)!
- Talk to Peggy! Reach out via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), text/phone, or Facebook. Peggy is psyched to hear from you – even if you’re not sure you can/want to go but just have questions.
- Budget + Save: Per the estimated cost above, you have several months to budget, save, and fundraise your way to making this trip possible. Peggy can support you with fundraising ideas, but here’s a great first resource.
- Tell your chapter members, fellow leaders, co-workers, friends, family – whoever you think might be interested in an opportunity like this. Seriously, shout it out! You never know who may be waiting for an invitation.
- Check out our FAQ.
- Read and complete this application, then email Peggy with your finished application.